Thursday, November 29, 2007

When batter goes bad....




I had the small assignment of making some banana bread for a leadership meeting tonight. So I thought to my clever little self, "Why not make it in the bread tubes? It always comes out so cute and in those festive shapes! Just slice it up in even pieces and there you go!" Well, until it decided to be Satanic banana bread from heck! Check that top photo!

During the baking process the batter began to seep out from the bottom of the tube and mound up on the baking sheet. That and another tube decided to erupt like Kilauea 1990! Holy Hannah! That second photo shows the volcanic drain!

But alls well that ends well. The bread was salvageable for the most part. Just to be safe though I am making a trip to the local bakery and grabbing a few loaves as back up!

Update: It's really weird...the bread that drained or exploded from the tubes tasted great. But the bread from inside the tube and pretty had zero taste. Ze- Ro. Like you were eating non flavoured bread. I wonder if quick breads get all there great taste from the caramelization? It's either that or all the taste molecules got scared of the dark and just ran for their lives! Chronicler?

add to sk*rt

6 comments:

Erin said...

wow! i have never seen or heard of bread tubes before. what a cool idea. your slices look so perfect.

Robyn said...

wow brings a whole new meaning to the words banana bowl. you're right, it is volcanic!

Maren said...

That is too funny. "Satanic banana bread from heck!" I'll have to use that one (should I ever have need to....)

The finished slices ARE darling. That is a cute idea (when it doesn't explode on ya!)

S'mee said...

Erin, It's so weird I have had those tubes for years and this is the first time they've exploded! I think I got them through pampered chef, but it was a thousand years ago so who remembers?

Chronicler, I just laughed when I opened the door; it was alive!

Maren, You should see the tiny tea sandwiches when you make it from these tubes....adorable!

Robyn said...

Okay so weird that there is no flavor. If I had to give a reason it would be that the bananas are heavier than the rest of the batter and if everything slid south so did they. Thus the flavor slide!

the middle hip sister said...

that's one of the funniest things i've ever seen, but i'm so sad there was no flavor! I think the idea is so perfect. I wonder if you tried a "Mix"(i know...the horror!) but maybe just to experiment...I think i'll try it if you haven't...LOVE the idea of stars...perfect for Christmas...