Saturday, November 17, 2007

The $30.00 Tree:


Both the same tree, same position, just different light trying to get the tree to look like it does in real life. You tell me...which picture do you think looks best? I just finished the tree in the foyer, and then pulled it into a spare room until Saturday night for the toy drive dinner. After Thanksgiving it will probably go in front of the window that is providing the lovely glare in the photo. I'll reposition the furniture so it fits better.

Speaking of furniture. (cue Psycho knife slashing scene music!!!) This building, although very nice and I can say many positive things about it, the furnishings are less than well done. The carpeting is a deep greyish navy blue with emerald specks. The walls are covered in a heavy corded jute/grass cloth that is like a faded forest green. In the foyer the couch and chair are covered in a lovely beige background with deep rose, deep turquoise, and blue-ish hunter green floral designs. If one wanders into the chapel they would find the same carpet and walls and the pews are covered in a bright sea foamy-teal. It makes your eyes bleed. Sweet Mercy! This is why I chose the monochromatic gold theme for the tree. It was either that or go with purple and finish off all the congregates with a mind exploding fusion of death inducing colour. (fyi: This is the new remodel colours! Somebody's niece obviously just graduated from decorating school.)

I'll have a tutorial with all the gory details on Tuesday. The tutorial will be posted as a $40.00 tree. That's how much it would cost if you didn't have as many "freebies" laying around the house as I did. Any who, you get the idea.

add to sk*rt

6 comments:

Robyn said...

It looks very nice! If you give me the instructions and the stuff, it still would not look as good as you made it! Still, I look forward to the tutorial. I need to pick up the techniques you use!

The decor. Oh the decor. Not as bad as a ward building in my area. We went for a meeting there and I almost had to laugh out loud when I walked into the chapel.There were chandeliers, the likes of what you'd at Phantom!

Loes said...

Wow! Absolutely a stunning tree you have there! Definately worth the hours you put in... It makes me feel all Christmassy already!

The Pea said...

Amen to the church decor! I would love to visit the home of the person who thought it up. I bet you would find upholstered walls and beehive hair. Your tree however looks awsome!!

Rynell said...

Great decorated tree! All that for $30-$40! I am truly impressed. I will definitely have to check back for your tutorial.

Rynell said...

P.S. I too cringe at the chapel decor in so many buildings...It is such a pity because there are so many talented folks who could contribute their talents...

S'mee said...

Thanks everyone. Seriously this decorating thing is just smoke and mirrors and TIME! Yikes!

On the chapel decor...what can I say?