Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Morning with the kids

The last few weeks or so I have been working with the children's chorister and the President of the Primary (children's church) in our ward (congregation) helping them prepare to sing and sign a song for their program next Sunday. This program is called "The Children's Sacrament Meeting Presentation" and then followed by the yearly theme. Most of us call it: "The Best Sunday of the Year".

Each year the children learn Gospel principles and in the last quarter of the year they get to present what they have learned in the Sacrament Meeting (the main worship meeting on Sundays for LDS people). Their program is filled with music and, usually, each child has a speaking part explaining in a sentence or two, what they personally have learned. There are no scripts. The children are asked certain questions and their answers are what is presented. Children, being unpredictable no matter how well rehearsed or practiced, are still the best teachers and the most entertaining.

Our grand son, Mogli, was in his first presentation a month ago. He is 4 years old and went up to the pulpit and almost sang his 'part' in a roller coaster voice of excitement as he proclaimed very clearly and loudly into the microphone: "I am HAAAAAPPY because I get to GOOOOO to CHURCH!" He wasn't too keen on vocally singing, although when I asked him, he replied: "I said my talk gramma and then I sang in my head."

This morning was my last visit in to the Primary room, and it was so lovely and Spirit filled I left in tears. The words they sang were beautiful. They sing about 12 or so songs and they all just gave me goose bumps. The children sang with much expression and joy. I am really blessed that get to help them out with one song. The words to the song we get to sign are:

If you don't walk as most people do, some people walk away from you.
But I won't. I won't.

If you don't talk as most people do, some people talk and laugh at you.
But I won't. I won't.

I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you. That's how I'll sow my love for you.

Jesus walked away from none. He gave His love to everyone.
So I will. I will.

Jesus blessed all He could see, then turn and said, "Come follow Me."
So I will. I will.
I will. I will.

I'll walk with you, I'll talk with you.
That's how I'll show my love for you.

The English to this song is awesome enough, but when you see the ASL and read it literally the words have even more meaning:

If you walk different, some people walk away from you.
I won't. I won't.

If you talk different, some people gossip and mock you.
I won't. I won't.

I will go to you, walk with you side by side. I will approach you for conversation.
My actions will show I love you.

Jesus walked away from none. He gave His love to everyone.
I will. I will be the same as God Jesus.

Jesus blessed everyone. Then He God said, Come, follow me.
I will. I will follow Him. I will be the same as God Jesus. I will.

I will go to you, walk with you side by side. I will approach you for conversation.
My actions will show I love you.

These little kids, 3 years old to 12, were so amazingly beautiful with their expression as they learned to sign this song. And today as they stood to practice one last time before their presentation next Sunday, wow, they blew me away. You could really feel the Holy Spirit in the room and their sweet dedication to do as they had learned. What a Sunday lesson.

add to sk*rt

3 comments:

Rynell said...

I love the ASL signs to this! Wow! My favorite: "My actions will show I love you." and "I will be the same as God Jesus."

Our program is this coming Sunday. :)

The Pea said...

I loved this!! Our program was last week. And I got to teach our kids the signs to "love is spoken here" It was so much fun to watch them from the audience. Enjoy it!!

S'mee said...

Rynell and Pea, thank you for your kind words. I am SO excited to see them sign for their parents and others in the Chapel...it is going to be so Spirit filled!!!