Monday, December 10, 2007

Vintage Paper Houses

Remember when you were a little girl and your Gramma would let you help her decorate her tree? I remember going to my Gramma's and seeing all the great hand blown Santa's, the mercury glass globes, and of course the paper houses with cellophane windows. I loved those tiny little houses! Pastel colours and glittery and perfect for sitting atop a twinkle light.
I decided that I would try my hand at making on myself. I Made a pattern from graph paper first, then transfered my design onto cardboard. I used hot glue to affix each piece and then white glue to GLITTER! it up. (I waited all day to get to the glitter.)
I outlined each opening with more glitter, it got a bit gooey, I'll have to reign myself in a bit more next time!
I put all the pieces in a 200 degree oven for about five minutes to help it cure, then glued that baby together and gave her a test run on the tree.
I love it! I need to tweak the pattern just a bit, but as soon as I do I'll have one up on the tutorials page. I want a whole housing track!

Today was the last day to get our Traditions exchange in the mail. So I added my little house, some sheet music, chocolates, a story, a recipe, some Christmas decorations, and a spool of French Wire ribbon with a tutorial; and a note explaining the whole lot. I hope Stephanie enjoys the goodies!

add to sk*rt

10 comments:

Maren said...

Those are darling.

Erin said...

I love that little house! you are so talented.
i can't wait for the tutorial! :)

Robyn said...

It turned out! Very cute! Waiting on the tutorial. Thanks!

Loes said...

Adorable, s'mee!!

Red said...

these look so cool! I think I could make 'em!

S'mee said...

Thanks all! I will have a tutorial (hopefully) by next Tuesday. Things are still a bit busy, but fun.

Rynell said...

Very cute houses.

Mommi Tutu said...

That is so cool! Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

What a cool little (BIG) project. I'm afraid I'm not as crafty. *sigh*

Kim Carney said...

Oh, I love it. And I am looking forward to the tutorial! Sorry, I have not emailed you to say THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your love and support the last month. It has meant the world to me ;) and helped me through my very trying time. Hope you are enjoying your holidays ... I am finally going to the mall today after trying to come up with a Christmas card idea yesterday and giving up ;0 xoxoxo Kim